Football is Bliss
Last night I finally got to play soccer. It had been exactly 7 weeks since I placed the holiest of balls at my feet and ran until I couldn't breath and I am happy.
I love playing soccer. It's my meditation, my gym, my therapy all rolled into one sweaty, ankle rolling ball. And 7 weeks without it was anguish.
Several years ago, I lived in a college town. A group would gather on the fields by my house and play ball everyday. It took almost a year before I joined them - all men, mostly foreign and much more talented than I ever hoped to be - when I finally got up the nerve, I ended up playing constantly. I will play until my body refuses. I can't run a mile, but I can play soccer for hours.
I haven't played for that long - picked up the game as an adult. This makes me a nervous player. I am convinced that every mistake is huge, that everyone is wondering who let me on the field. The reality is that I am pretty good player. Although I do play women's club, I have also played constantly with men - good men. So I am fast, have great angles and I can knock a full grown man on his ass without slowing down. I am also 5 ft tall - I win every call.
So last night I am playing with a team that I have never met. I know not one person on the field. They are all at least 10 years younger than me ( I am old too!) and a few play for State University. Yeah, I am freaked. I step on the field, take a few steps and score.
I love soccer.
I love playing soccer. It's my meditation, my gym, my therapy all rolled into one sweaty, ankle rolling ball. And 7 weeks without it was anguish.
Several years ago, I lived in a college town. A group would gather on the fields by my house and play ball everyday. It took almost a year before I joined them - all men, mostly foreign and much more talented than I ever hoped to be - when I finally got up the nerve, I ended up playing constantly. I will play until my body refuses. I can't run a mile, but I can play soccer for hours.
I haven't played for that long - picked up the game as an adult. This makes me a nervous player. I am convinced that every mistake is huge, that everyone is wondering who let me on the field. The reality is that I am pretty good player. Although I do play women's club, I have also played constantly with men - good men. So I am fast, have great angles and I can knock a full grown man on his ass without slowing down. I am also 5 ft tall - I win every call.
So last night I am playing with a team that I have never met. I know not one person on the field. They are all at least 10 years younger than me ( I am old too!) and a few play for State University. Yeah, I am freaked. I step on the field, take a few steps and score.
I love soccer.

1 Comments:
Soccer is fun! To watch! And to heckle opposing teammates who have stomped on your tiny sister and hurt her ankle so she can't play! And to order pizza and have it delivered during said heckling and then discover they didn't cut it!
Sorry. I had so much fun that day...
Post a Comment
<< Home