Yeah, we do talk like dat
Inspired by Helen (I wanted to say in honour of, but that sounded morbid)
Things we say in Southern Louisiana*
Things we say in Southern Louisiana*
- Where Y'at - The most obvious. I would like to say that I never use this phrase, but I would be lying. A greeting, like saying "What's Up"
- You Goin - Are you coming along? Seems obvious to me, but I am asked what I am talking about ALOT.
- Mom-n-em - Mom's house. I have no idea where this came from. See #6
- N'awlins - OK, only tourists actually say it like this. It's more like "New AW lins." There is actually bunch of different ways my city is pronounced, but my favorite is "New Ore Yee Ins." Hard to get across in writing, but think New York Jewish grandmother and you have it. Interesting fact: there is a street in the Quarter called Orleans. This is pronounced ORleans. Beats me.
- Makin Groceries - grocery shopping.
- Fixin To - verb, used with everything. For example: I'm fixin to make groceries, but I gotta stop at my mom-n-ems house to pick up Amy, you going? This translates to "I am going to the grocery store, but first I am picking up Amy at my mother's house. Would you like to go along?
- Boo or Cher - Terms of endearment. I use boo all the time even though I am pretty sure I sound like a fool.
- Lagniappe (lan yap) - a little bit extra, like a baker's dozen. This isn't usually used in conversation, but is written everywhere.
- Tchoupitoulas - a street. Locals like to try and make visitors pronounce it, therefore I will not be giving you the pronunciation. Interesting fact: She can say it.
- Neutral ground - the strip of ground in the middle of the road or the median. There is a long story about why it's called the neutral ground, but do you really care?
- Yea, you right - I agree with you
- Dressed - lettuce, tomatoes, mayonnaise (mynez), etc. If you want your sandwich with everything on it, you get it dressed.
OK, I have gotten to the food. This could take weeks.
*but not everyone and not all the time
Disclaimer: Although born and raised in New Orleans, my family is from Northern Louisiana, also known as Arkansas. Therefore I have a wierd mix of the Southern Louisiana dialect and a southern twang. I sound like an imbecile, but a cute one.

1 Comments:
I clapped when I saw "Tchoupitoulas!!" (Because I'm lame.) And then "eeee!"d when I saw me! :-)
See, now if I were to do one of these posts, it would be very short. See, in California, "Dude" encompasses everything.
Dude.
Post a Comment
<< Home